From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Universal select tool: I'm a bit curious
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:33:10
1 On 30-03-2009 18:43:14 +0100, mephx wrote:
2 > Besides re-writing eselect in plain C the new implementation would be
3 > as follows:
4
5 I don't think C is a necessity (even though it has my preference), and
6 might interfere with some requirements, as Donnie already pointed out.
7
8 > Every ebuild with SLOT != 0 would create it's own "module" in a
9 > per-system DB (similar to /var/db) allowing the module listing and
10 > switching easy. This implies some coding on portage and a few parameter
11 > tweaking on each "modulable" ebuild.
12 > The "module" creation would be automatic and therefore created upon a
13 > successful emerge.
14 > Another per-user DB would be maintained and read upon each login for
15 > environment switching (adding a few lines on /etc/bash.rc or similar).
16 > The per-user DB would also allow various profiles per user and fast
17 > switching between them.
18
19 In this approach, would it be possible to just use the (existing) vdb?
20 Tools like portage-utils show that you can search through its contents
21 quickly enough not to even require an index actually. And if the
22 package manager is involved anyway, it can simply write those extra bits
23 you need in the vdb as well, as separate entries.
24
25 Big question would be, what. Like, how would a thing like gcc-config or
26 binutils-config be implemented like that. How would be the management
27 of different versions of the scripts that handle the actual switching
28 and stuff.
32 Fabian Groffen
33 Gentoo on a different level