From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [report 6.11-6.17] Daemons in Gentoo Prefix with OpenRC
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:10:11
1 On 06/21/2012 01:36 AM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Hey guys and gals,
3 >
4 > in the week 6.11-6.17 the following is scheduled, the status are,
5 >
6 > DONE 1. try out openindiana
7 >
8 > TODO 2. kill bugs for openrc (none killed)
9 >
10 > TODO 3. do evaluation of launchd, upstart, smf, etc. and report to wiki
11 >
12 > As you can see, there were little progress, the main reasons being not
13 > clear of defining the task (what to evaluate, what to test) and not
14 > proactively initiate discussions with mentor. In the following week, I
15 > will watch against such traps.
16
17 Let's try to get the basis of evaluation for a boot system:
18
19 - The checklist on the openrc wiki
20 - boot time
21 - how many seconds to go from boot to desktop?
22 - how many seconds to go from boot to *usable* desktop?
23 Beware that some systems use a number of stupid (IMHO) tricks to
24 to get the first number down, so you end up with a desktop but
25 not fully usable. (Hi MacOSX Lion)
26 - how many seconds to get the network up and a service running?
27 - shutdown time
28 - how many seconds to go from running to halt?
29 Apparently people care about it as well
32 > Schedule:
33 >
34 > 1. kill bugs for openrc
35 >
36 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=openrc&list_id=1113873
37 >
38 > 1.1 bug 413267
39 > 1.2 bug 409829
40 >
41 > 2. evaluate other rc systems (in order)
42 >
43 > 2.0 smf (Openindiana)
44 > 2.1 launchd (Mac OS X)
45 > 2.2 upstart (Ubuntu)
46
47 I think during this week would be ok if you manage to evaluate smf and
48 fix one bug.
49
50 > bonus, a thread considering OpenRC and FreeBSD,
51 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.hackers/47297. (Hi
52 > Robbins ;)
53
54 Nice =)