From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC - Package statistics
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:00:16
1 On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 22:22 -0500, chris@××××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:51:58 -0700, Brian Dolbec
3 > <brian.dolbec@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 00:39 +0100, Michael Seifert wrote:
6 > >> Hash: SHA1
7 > >>
8 > >> Hello Gentoo team,
9 > >>
10 > >> I am interested in taking part in this year's Google Summer of Code
11 > >> and
12 > >> would like to discuss some general things. More specific, I am
13 > >> talking
14 > >> about Christopher Harvey's idea to design an application that raises
15 > >> statistics on the installed packages on a system (see [1]).
16 > >>
17 > >> Let me explain my issue:
18 > >> In the first place, I am a Java developer and I consider my Java
19 > >> skills
20 > >> to be quite well. The point is that java is not part of a minimal
21 > >> gentoo
22 > >> system, whereas Python is. I would not have problems with Python,
23 > >> but I
24 > >> would have to learn the API of a GUI toolkit (preferably PyQt).
25 > >> What is your opinion: Would you be okay with a Java application or
26 > >> would
27 > >> you rather like to have a Python based one or even some other
28 > >> language?
29 > >> And finally, how much time do you think will it cost to work through
30 > >> the
31 > >> Qt API?
32 > >>
33 > >>
34 > >
35 > > Well, a good deal of the info gathering methods are already coded in
36 > > python (by me) and installed on many users systems already, soon to
37 > > be
38 > > even more as gentoolkit-0.3.0 final is about to be released.
39 > >
40 > > Have a look at the analyse module. It is designed for accessing the
41 > > installed package database and reporting/repairing things about it.
42 > > There is room for many more types of reports depending what is
43 > > needed.
44 > > Adding an anonymous data upload should not be difficult. So far I
45 > > have
46 > > only been adding report types for problems users have run into. It
47 > > has
48 > > USE flags and keywords reports so far. It has an api to use so as to
49 > > not need terminal output parsing to get the relevant data out of it.
50 > > Also so does most of equery and eclean have usable api's now (if
51 > > there
52 > > is anything needed from there (the reason I got involved in
53 > > gentoolkit
54 > > coding).
55 > Glad to hear gentoolkit has an API.
56 > >
57 > > I don't think a gui would be needed, but rather webapp interfaces to
58 > > the
59 > > data gathered. Most of the devs are cli die hards, so a simple
60 > > command
61 > > line interface to query the central database should be primary. I
62 > > believe it would be more widely used for the ebuilds they maintain. A
63 > > browser could be used to connect to it and get graphs, etc. for more
64 > > elaborate info displays.
65 > I had envisioned the webapp as being the main frontend, but since users
66 > would probably feel more comfortable with entering useful data via a
67 > simple and minimal gui on the client side.
68
69 well, the only time a gui might be useful is selecting the responses to
70 pkg queries a dev my trigger to be asked. All the info gathering could
71 be done in a cronjob, maybe once a week, month,... and possibly sent
72 automatically if that option is selected. no user intervention or data
73 entry is needed after initial setup.
76 > > I would think the main portion of this project would be the database
77 > > and
78 > > webapp query tools. Potential controversy aside, I would also think
79 > > you
80 > > should add a mechanism for a dev to trigger a simple query for people
81 > > having a cat/pkg-ver installed to optionally fill in a few questions
82 > > regarding an pkg's stability,... all anonymously. Those queries
83 > > could
84 > > be generic in nature and come with the data gathering tool, that way
85 > > only a simple small string need be downloaded at the time of data
86 > > upload
87 > > (for ex: pkgname, query #, possibly a bug #) no executable code.
88 > Agreed, maybe to avoid making the program annoying it could only run
89 > when the user asks it to.
90
91 Yes the triggered queries would only put a notice to an email, or
92 systray icon,... Answering them and sending would be when the user
93 selected only.
96 > > So I would concentrate your research and proposal efforts on the
97 > > database and webapps.
98 >
99 > I'm not a developer, so I don't think I can mentor this project even
100 > though I had the original idea. As of now, as far as I know this project
101 > has no mentor. Brian, as the author of gentoolkit and having such
102 > similar ideas for this project as me I'd be happy to see you mentor it
103 > if you want to.
104 >
105 > -Chris
106
107 Well, I would not be a good mentor for the webapp portion, since I
108 have not done any webapp programming outside of trying to tweak a couple
109 existing programs. However for the user side of data collection, yes I
110 would take it on if the powers that be so choose. I would still help if
111 asked even if not chosen as co-mentor.
112
113 Also being an official gentoo developer is not a pre-requisite to be a
114 mentor. If you feel you have the qualifications for this task. Get in
115 touch with dberkholz and antarus, the sooner the better for them to
116 evaluate you.
120 Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>