From: chris@××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC - Package statistics
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 03:23:13
1 On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:51:58 -0700, Brian Dolbec
2 <brian.dolbec@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 00:39 +0100, Michael Seifert wrote:
5 >> Hash: SHA1
6 >>
7 >> Hello Gentoo team,
8 >>
9 >> I am interested in taking part in this year's Google Summer of Code
10 >> and
11 >> would like to discuss some general things. More specific, I am
12 >> talking
13 >> about Christopher Harvey's idea to design an application that raises
14 >> statistics on the installed packages on a system (see [1]).
15 >>
16 >> Let me explain my issue:
17 >> In the first place, I am a Java developer and I consider my Java
18 >> skills
19 >> to be quite well. The point is that java is not part of a minimal
20 >> gentoo
21 >> system, whereas Python is. I would not have problems with Python,
22 >> but I
23 >> would have to learn the API of a GUI toolkit (preferably PyQt).
24 >> What is your opinion: Would you be okay with a Java application or
25 >> would
26 >> you rather like to have a Python based one or even some other
27 >> language?
28 >> And finally, how much time do you think will it cost to work through
29 >> the
30 >> Qt API?
34 > Well, a good deal of the info gathering methods are already coded in
35 > python (by me) and installed on many users systems already, soon to
36 > be
37 > even more as gentoolkit-0.3.0 final is about to be released.
38 >
39 > Have a look at the analyse module. It is designed for accessing the
40 > installed package database and reporting/repairing things about it.
41 > There is room for many more types of reports depending what is
42 > needed.
43 > Adding an anonymous data upload should not be difficult. So far I
44 > have
45 > only been adding report types for problems users have run into. It
46 > has
47 > USE flags and keywords reports so far. It has an api to use so as to
48 > not need terminal output parsing to get the relevant data out of it.
49 > Also so does most of equery and eclean have usable api's now (if
50 > there
51 > is anything needed from there (the reason I got involved in
52 > gentoolkit
53 > coding).
54 Glad to hear gentoolkit has an API.
55 >
56 > I don't think a gui would be needed, but rather webapp interfaces to
57 > the
58 > data gathered. Most of the devs are cli die hards, so a simple
59 > command
60 > line interface to query the central database should be primary. I
61 > believe it would be more widely used for the ebuilds they maintain. A
62 > browser could be used to connect to it and get graphs, etc. for more
63 > elaborate info displays.
64 I had envisioned the webapp as being the main frontend, but since users
65 would probably feel more comfortable with entering useful data via a
66 simple and minimal gui on the client side.
67 >
68 > I would think the main portion of this project would be the database
69 > and
70 > webapp query tools. Potential controversy aside, I would also think
71 > you
72 > should add a mechanism for a dev to trigger a simple query for people
73 > having a cat/pkg-ver installed to optionally fill in a few questions
74 > regarding an pkg's stability,... all anonymously. Those queries
75 > could
76 > be generic in nature and come with the data gathering tool, that way
77 > only a simple small string need be downloaded at the time of data
78 > upload
79 > (for ex: pkgname, query #, possibly a bug #) no executable code.
80 Agreed, maybe to avoid making the program annoying it could only run
81 when the user asks it to.
82 >
83 > So I would concentrate your research and proposal efforts on the
84 > database and webapps.
85
86 I'm not a developer, so I don't think I can mentor this project even
87 though I had the original idea. As of now, as far as I know this project
88 has no mentor. Brian, as the author of gentoolkit and having such
89 similar ideas for this project as me I'd be happy to see you mentor it
90 if you want to.
91
92 -Chris