From: Arun Raghavan <arunissatan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About "Create and release a Gentoo stats server/client"
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:57:28
1 2009/4/2 Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>:
2 [...]
3 >>  What if there would be a unique identifier (hashed MAC
4 >> address?) that just identifies the Gentoo installation, would that be
5 >> enough?  That way you can track without any privacy issues involved, I
6 >> think.
7 >
8 > We could use such an identifier to identify repeated submissions
9 > (users should send in more up to date again later) and handle
10 > some kind of "database pollution" attacks.  We wouldn't catch
11 > attackers that change their MAC before submission.
12
13 Not sure how you can deal with this. How does Smolt or Debian's thing
14 deal with it?
15
16 > I suppose a privacy issue still exists as you might be able to
17 > resolve certain changes in submission data over time down
18 > to a person.  I better not construct scenarios here, but I'm
19 > afraid that would be possible.
20
21 Quite frankly, I think anybody who is worried about this attack would
22 be too paranoid to send you that data anyway. I mean, you could even
23 potentially match timestamps related to the db updates with server
24 logs and IP addresses. Again, if someone is paranoid enough about
25 their privacy to worry about such an attack, they wouldn't submit
26 their data anyway.
27
28 I think you'll need to strike a balance between the effort taken to
29 increase privacy by a factor of 'x' and the number of particpating
30 users you stand to increase because of this improvement.
31 --
32 Arun Raghavan
33 (http://nemesis.accosted.net)
34 v2sw5Chw4+5ln4pr6$OFck2ma4+9u8w3+1!m?l7+9GSCKi056
35 e6+9i4b8/9HTAen4+5g4/8APa2Xs8r1/2p5-8 hackerkey.com