From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About "Create and release a Gentoo stats server/client"
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:50:52
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Is it really necessary to associate collected information to personal
3 > data at all?
4
5 Are you referring to item
6
7 * Add user's real name and contact info if wanted
8
9 ? That's completely optional. I expect some people to
10 be willing to share their contact info, especially in the
11 beginning. It's not "needed" in any way. Does that answer
12 your question?
15 > What if there would be a unique identifier (hashed MAC
16 > address?) that just identifies the Gentoo installation, would that be
17 > enough? That way you can track without any privacy issues involved, I
18 > think.
19
20 We could use such an identifier to identify repeated submissions
21 (users should send in more up to date again later) and handle
22 some kind of "database pollution" attacks. We wouldn't catch
23 attackers that change their MAC before submission.
24
25 I suppose a privacy issue still exists as you might be able to
26 resolve certain changes in submission data over time down
27 to a person. I better not construct scenarios here, but I'm
28 afraid that would be possible.
29
30 I'd love to hear from an expert about this.
34 Sebastian