From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About "Create and release a Gentoo stats server/client"
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:58:40
1 On 02-04-2009 17:50:50 +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > Is it really necessary to associate collected information to personal
4 > > data at all?
5 >
6 > Are you referring to item
7 >
8 > * Add user's real name and contact info if wanted
9 >
10 > ? That's completely optional. I expect some people to
11 > be willing to share their contact info, especially in the
12 > beginning. It's not "needed" in any way. Does that answer
13 > your question?
14
15 I was wondering if this was necessary at all, and hence if you should
16 include it.
17
18 > > What if there would be a unique identifier (hashed MAC
19 > > address?) that just identifies the Gentoo installation, would that be
20 > > enough? That way you can track without any privacy issues involved, I
21 > > think.
22 >
23 > We could use such an identifier to identify repeated submissions
24 > (users should send in more up to date again later) and handle
25 > some kind of "database pollution" attacks. We wouldn't catch
26 > attackers that change their MAC before submission.
27
28 I actually assumed that "updates" are one of the most important
29 happenings of a system like this. Updates actually allow you to see
30 when and how people update, what the effect of an GSLA is, usage
31 patterns, etc. etc.
32
33 DoS attacks are different problem, but most probably can easily be
34 solved by infra using some rate-limiting. Poisoning attacks are again a
35 different thing, but perhaps not so important because their impact is
36 low, and when detected easily remedied (restart from scratch, restore
37 backup ...)
38
39 > I suppose a privacy issue still exists as you might be able to
40 > resolve certain changes in submission data over time down
41 > to a person. I better not construct scenarios here, but I'm
42 > afraid that would be possible.
43
44 So, question, is dealing with the privacy via identity problem one that
45 gives you any extra benefits, or can you entirely let it go?
49 Fabian Groffen
50 Gentoo on a different level