From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: Jim Watson <jim@××××××××××××.au>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] GWN "Want ad" for sparc architecture testers
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:58:09
On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 14:25 +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:41:59 +1000, I waved a wand and this message > magically appears in front of Jim Watson: > > > > It is also needed to find if a problem is sparc related - test on > > different platforms. I can help you with that. > > > > There are currently not any bugs upstream that are specific to sparc. > > > > I am not a gentoo user, but doing the upstream OOo port for sparc > > Right, I've tried unmasking the OOO ebuild on sparc and building it - > it stopped with an error probably ~50% though. I can try this again and > file bug reports if that's necessary? > > As for there being a lack of a Java VM on sparc, if anyone's working on > porting Sun's JVM, I can help with testing the builds.
Supposedly, this is very hard to hopeless (according to sun). There are more promising alternatives, such as jamvm or perhaps cacao. I have played a bit with jamvm, and I think it could be made to work. It's mostly a matter of figuring out what order the arguments to a couple macros which are used for test-and-swap are given, and making a few memcopy macros work right. I've had it running; just not quite correctly. jamvm (or something like it) would make a very nice project. Sun java would probably not (I think sun have it on their to-do list, but considered long-term and difficult). If you want to be an AT, please set it up with jmbsvicetto or with me; it's mostly a matter of getting you through the ebuild quiz.
Regards, -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)