From: Jameel Akari <jakari@×××××××.com>
To: Steve Farmer <steve@××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Ultra 10 CPU replacement?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:07:04
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Steve Farmer wrote:

> I've found some cheap CPUs that appear to be Ultra 5 pulls, part > numbers 501-5039 (270 MHz) and 501-5148 (360 MHz). I've looked at > some of the Sunsolve docs, but since I don't really know the part > number of my Ultra 10 system board it's not at all clear to me if > these CPUs will work for me.
Nobody replied that I noticed, so I'll chip in. Ultra-5 and Ultra-10 systems use the same system boards. So the CPUs should be interchangable. I'd open your U10 and find the PN and SN of your system board, and then checking it against: http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U5/component.system_board.html and/or http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U10/component.system_board.html Flipping back and forth, I see that the part numbers are identical. Some boards support certain CPUs.. if your system had a 440MHz, then it will certainly work with a 333 or a 360MHz. The 270 was only available in certain Ultra-5s, so YMMV in a U10 level board. If you follow a link to the board description, like: http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_Ultra5_10.html#0066 you can see what CPUs it was tested with. Double-check the PNs of the CPUs before you buy.. some have bigger caches. The 501-5222 360MHz has 2MB cache, the other only has 256kB and in my experience, it's a real dog. I'd suggest upgrading your firmware while you're at it: http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/advsearch.do?collection=PATCH&type=collections&queryKey5=106121&toDocument=yes Probably need to boot up in Solaris 7 or 8 for that - but with some work you can do that from CD+network without doing a whole Solaris install. Good luck. -- #!/jameel/akari sleep 4800; make clean && make breakfast -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list