From: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Myth/DVD/MAME on an Ultra5?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:32:51
1 This may be a dumb question, but I can't find anything useful via
2 Google. I'm running Gentoo on my Ultra5, and am starting to wonder if
3 maybe I can't turn it into a Myth/DVD/MAME machine (since god knows I
4 don't do anything else useful with it).
5
6 Obvious problems:
7
8 Onboard video sucks - thinking maybe an ATI 7500 AIW PCI here?
9
10 IDE controller is worse - stream everything over the network, or
11 install a decent IDE controller in one of the PCI slots and connect
12 the DVD drive to it.
13
14 I've already thrown in a DVD drive, new hard drive and a USB
15 controller card, just in an effort to make the machine slightly
16 non-useless.
17
18 Is this completely impossible? Any suggestions/pointers? I'd rather
19 find out now than after I spend the money on a video card I can't
20 actually use.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Jack