From: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Myth/DVD/MAME on an Ultra5?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:32:51
This may be a dumb question, but I can't find anything useful via
Google. I'm running Gentoo on my Ultra5, and am starting to wonder if
maybe I can't turn it into a Myth/DVD/MAME machine (since god knows I
don't do anything else useful with it).

Obvious problems:

Onboard video sucks - thinking maybe an ATI 7500 AIW PCI here?

IDE controller is worse - stream everything over the network, or
install a decent IDE controller in one of the PCI slots and connect
the DVD drive to it.

I've already thrown in a DVD drive, new hard drive and a USB
controller card, just in an effort to make the machine slightly
non-useless.

Is this completely impossible? Any suggestions/pointers? I'd rather
find out now than after I spend the money on a video card I can't
actually use.

Thanks,
  Jack