From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein@××××××.com>
To: Gentoo Sparc List <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] TCP connect() times out
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:49:29
I got an odd new problem.

The host in question is on a five-node LAN sitting behind a NAT
gateway.

I can

a. ping any host on the LAN or Internet (i.e., ICMP works fine)
b. query any DNS server on LAN or Internet (UDP works fine)
c. receive TCP connections from LAN or Internet
d. initiate TCP connections to hosts on LAN

I cannot

* initiate TCP connections to hosts on the Internet

The problem isn't specific to any TCP protocol; they all fail: smtp,
telnet, ftp, http, ...

I'm working on isolating the interesting parts of strace output; right
now the only thing that leaps out at me is that connect() is timing
out, e.g.,

connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(80),
sin_addr=inet_addr("129.95.36.100")}, 16) = -1 ETIMEDOUT (Connection
timed out)

Clues?

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein@××××××.com>