From: Alex Buell <alex.buell@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Linux/SPARC64 Hardware Compatibility List
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:02:51
On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 15:01 -0800, BRM wrote:

> I had two issues with it: > 1. The QLogic QLA2000 controller. > Namely because you have to build the initrd disk image to load before > you can get to the hard drive, at least post 2.6.16 or 2.6.18. May be > they corrected that again; not sure. (Issue was a firmware blob was > needed; I somewhere 2.6.16-18 they stopped letting you build the blob > into the kernel, thus the initrd was then required and not easy to get > setup either.) > > 2. The NIC, at least when I ran it several years back, didn't auto-sense > properly. > > However, I can't say if either of those are still issues or not since > I am no longer at the company where I had that box, so I don't run the > Sparc64 one any more. It'd be great to know if those issues were > resolved as I do know of another equivalent box that was running into > those same issues, and the maintainers aren't as savvy - they may not > be using it now as a result. So it'd be nice to get them going on it > again.
I did not encounter issues with the FC-AL disks nor with the gigabit ethernet cards, so yes, these probably have been resolved. I use an initrd (ramfs) with the kernel to boot the disks, was a complete PITA to get set up but once booting it all works beautifully. I put the firmware into the initrd, but compiling the firmware into the kernel also works just as well but the initrd method is probably better contrary to the wisdom put forth in the sparc forums on Gentoo. -- Tactical Nuclear Kittens