From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Forcing package check
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:33:34
Paul Heinlein wrote:
> Some time ago, I'd begun to think that perhaps the Gentoo package system > on my SPARC had become somewhat corrupted. (Snip long story about > SunBlades and IDE corruption...) Queries concerning installed packages > seemed to execute correctly, but "emerge -uvD world" seemed to ignore > packages that really needed to be upgraded.
This usually happens when this "important package" was installed as a dependency of another package, and that other package is no longer installed or just no longer depends on the first one. The real solution is to add this important package to the world file. If a package isn't listed in the world file and it's not a dependency of a package listed in the world file, it won't be caught by 'emerge -uD world'. -- Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/ Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list