From: Klaus Wagner <klaus@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Software Compilation
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:59:39
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:45:23AM +0200, Nic le Roux wrote:
> Thanks Ralph. > > It, will however be a requirement to put the modem on the E450. > Because of the way Nagios generates the sms's and as a means of removing > another point of failure I have to put it on the E450. > Guaranteeing the delivery of the sms is of utmost importance. > Is there complications in getting it set up on the Sparc machine itself ?
If I remind correctly the E450 has 2 serial ports, but they look like PC Parports. If you want to connect a modem, you have to use adapters.(gender changers at least) If you do not have a Grafics card installed (we usually don't have) you will need a console (or zero-modem cable and minicom) to setup the system. If you follow the documentation correctly you should not encounter any problems.
> > Are there changes in the Apache config made as a requirement of it being on > the E450 ? > Something in the list that I left out was postfix, using a smarthost on the > network to deliver mail.
Your default Apache settings should play well, but be aware that if you can't distribute you load to several cpu's (more threads/processes) E450 performance will suck.
> > On that note is the Sparc distribution very stable ?
This might bring up discussions but here my opinion: 2.4 Linux and stable libs --> very stable 2.6 Linux and stable libs --> quite stable but I would not bet on it If you ever need a ~sparc flags to get the versions you need use it careful, only mark the specific package in /etc/portage/package.keywords and newer use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge foo_bar. If it doesn't need to be linux I would suggest you try opensolaris. It is free, has solid rock stability on sparc and you can install gnu tools to compile/run gnu software.(At least Apache and Postfix runs well on opensolaris) regards klaus -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list