From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] qfe (hme?) link bug ?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:07:34
Leif Sawyer wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out what the inconsistancy is in the > sparc ethernet model with relation to link up/down for hotplug events. > > My qfe interface defaults at boot to "autoneg on", and 100/full > as verified with ethtool. > > if I unplug the cable, I should see a NETLINK event that the interface > is down, so that hotplug/netplug can take action. > > This does not seem to happen. > What does seem to happen is that the interface resets itself into > 10/half, and the link-detect stays active. > > if I 'touch' the interface with ethtool in set mode, say, > "ethtool -s eth2 autoneg on" -- which is the current setting anyway -- > the interface finally shows link down, and I see kernel messages > from the driver stating this. > > This would seem to be a bug in the re-negotiation code. Link-detect > should be 'no' until we've successfully renegotiated a carrier, > especially if we've suddenly changed speed/duplex.
This bug may not be specific to this driver. I saw something similar recently on some Dual Opteron servers here at work with Broadcom gigabit ethernet with the 2006.1 LiveCD and kernel 2.6.17-gentoo-r5. When the machine booted up, I only had a cable plugged into eth1. While eth1 showed 100/full, eth0 showed 10/half until I did 'ifconfig eth0 up/down'. I currently have 2.6.16-hardened-r11 running on those boxes, and one box still has nothing plugged into eth0, but mii-tool shows that it's down. It could be a difference in the bootup procedure or a bug that was introduced in 2.6.17. What kernel are you seeing this with? -- Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/ Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project Today's lesson in political correctness: "Go asphyxiate on a phallus" -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list