From: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Myth/DVD/MAME on an Ultra5?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:12:10
1 On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 04:55:52PM +0000, Oliver M A Wilson wrote:
2 > What is the clock speed on the cpu? I have never tried DVD/TV on my
3 > 333Mhz Ultra5 but DivX playback was awful, it can just almost cope with
4 > full screen mpeg playback. I think these machines just aren't powerful
5 > enough to cope with modern media apps.
6
7 333 here as well. Was that with the onboard video? I'm wondering if with
8 a more modern card it can offload more work from the CPU (also I think MPEG-4
9 is more CPU intensive than MPEG-2, though I'm sure even that will be a strain
10 for this old thing).
11
12 > By the way, is it the IDE controller that sucks? I always put the crap
13 > hard drive performance down the fact they are 5400rpm disk.
14
15 Yeah, the driver has a comment describing the chipset as "broken by
16 design". No DMA! I've got a 7200 RPM ATA/66 drive in there now and
17 it's only marginally better. Guess Sun didn't want to canabalize sales
18 of the Ultra2 by giving the 5 decent I/O throughput.
19
20 -Jack
21 --
22 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list