From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Interrogate network for devices
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 03:52:26
1 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Sorry for the OT, but unable to raise anyone at comcast right now.
3 >
4 > I think I recall having read somewhere that one can do something to
5 > discover what devices are on a network (Home lan). And what there
6 > addresses are.
7 >
8 > I've recently switched from DSL to Cable connection but still have
9 > both working currently.
10 >
11 > I had assumed my netgear-firewall/router would find the Cable modem and
12 > be able to talk to it, but that isn't happening.
13 >
14 > I can connect the cable modem direct to a pc and using the software
15 > that comes with it establish a connection to the internet, but I
16 > wanted to have that firewall/router in between the cable modem and home
17 > pcs.
18 >
19 > But that is only on a windows machine.
20 >
21 > The help file that comes with the modem provides no information about
22 > how one talks to the modem. No ethernet address is supplied. However
23 > it is an ethernet device and connects to the pc with ethernet cable.
24 >
25 > Apparently comcast felt it wiser to provide no details and let its
26 > software do the connecting.
27 >
28 > But can't I learn the IP address (inward facing) of the modem? The IP
29 > from outside is of course visible to ipconfig, when connecting to
30 > internet from a windows machine thru the cable modem, but I see
31 > nothing that indicates what its lanside ethernet address is.
32 >
33 > Its obviously connecting to the pc with dhcp so setting the netgear to
34 > listen for dhcp seemed like it should work... but doesn't.
35 >
36 > I thought I would be able to connect to the cable modem with a browser
37 > and maybe learn enough to make the netgear router/firewall connect to
38 > it, or one of my gentoo boxes, so have tried a few of the
39 > semi-standard addresses other ethernet hubs/routers etc default to, like
40 > 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 and a few more.
44 I'm not sure if this will work for you or not but it worked for me when
45 I was at my ex's and we had cable there. Cut everything off. Turn on
46 the modem and wait a minute or two after the lights stop changing and
47 blinking. Turn on the next device, router in our case, and wait a few
48 minutes again. Then turn on the computers. I always cut on the one
49 hooked to the ethernet #1 port first but it may not matter. That was my
50 Linux box and it was always on, 24/7.
51
52 I also had to change the IP address on the router to a fixed address to
53 get it to work right. I think I had it set to 192.168.100.2. After
54 that, we had very little trouble with the connection. The modem itself
55 was 192.168.100.1. If you hook your computer directly to the modem, you
56 can see things like signal strength and stuff. Can't change anything
57 tho. You just get to look. I think it had like a reset button too.
58 Also, if I had anything between the computer and the modem, I could not
59 see the modem at all. YMMV.
60
61 Oh, we had Vista-Media to. If that matters any.
62
63 May not help but may be worth a shot in the dark.
66 Dale
67
69 --
70 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list