From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Interrogate network for devices
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 04:29:39
1 Sorry for the OT, but unable to raise anyone at comcast right now.
2
3 I think I recall having read somewhere that one can do something to
4 discover what devices are on a network (Home lan). And what there
5 addresses are.
6
7 I've recently switched from DSL to Cable connection but still have
8 both working currently.
9
10 I had assumed my netgear-firewall/router would find the Cable modem and
11 be able to talk to it, but that isn't happening.
12
13 I can connect the cable modem direct to a pc and using the software
14 that comes with it establish a connection to the internet, but I
15 wanted to have that firewall/router in between the cable modem and home
16 pcs.
17
18 But that is only on a windows machine.
19
20 The help file that comes with the modem provides no information about
21 how one talks to the modem. No ethernet address is supplied. However
22 it is an ethernet device and connects to the pc with ethernet cable.
23
24 Apparently comcast felt it wiser to provide no details and let its
25 software do the connecting.
26
27 But can't I learn the IP address (inward facing) of the modem? The IP
28 from outside is of course visible to ipconfig, when connecting to
29 internet from a windows machine thru the cable modem, but I see
30 nothing that indicates what its lanside ethernet address is.
31
32 Its obviously connecting to the pc with dhcp so setting the netgear to
33 listen for dhcp seemed like it should work... but doesn't.
34
35 I thought I would be able to connect to the cable modem with a browser
36 and maybe learn enough to make the netgear router/firewall connect to
37 it, or one of my gentoo boxes, so have tried a few of the
38 semi-standard addresses other ethernet hubs/routers etc default to, like
39 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 and a few more.
42 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list