From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Interrogate network for devices
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 04:43:47
1 Perhaps you need a cross over cable between the modem and the router?
2
3 -Hal
6 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
7 > Sorry for the OT, but unable to raise anyone at comcast right now.
8 >
9 > I think I recall having read somewhere that one can do something to
10 > discover what devices are on a network (Home lan). And what there
11 > addresses are.
12 >
13 > I've recently switched from DSL to Cable connection but still have
14 > both working currently.
15 >
16 > I had assumed my netgear-firewall/router would find the Cable modem and
17 > be able to talk to it, but that isn't happening.
18 >
19 > I can connect the cable modem direct to a pc and using the software
20 > that comes with it establish a connection to the internet, but I
21 > wanted to have that firewall/router in between the cable modem and home
22 > pcs.
23 >
24 > But that is only on a windows machine.
25 >
26 > The help file that comes with the modem provides no information about
27 > how one talks to the modem. No ethernet address is supplied. However
28 > it is an ethernet device and connects to the pc with ethernet cable.
29 >
30 > Apparently comcast felt it wiser to provide no details and let its
31 > software do the connecting.
32 >
33 > But can't I learn the IP address (inward facing) of the modem? The IP
34 > from outside is of course visible to ipconfig, when connecting to
35 > internet from a windows machine thru the cable modem, but I see
36 > nothing that indicates what its lanside ethernet address is.
37 >
38 > Its obviously connecting to the pc with dhcp so setting the netgear to
39 > listen for dhcp seemed like it should work... but doesn't.
40 >
41 > I thought I would be able to connect to the cable modem with a browser
42 > and maybe learn enough to make the netgear router/firewall connect to
43 > it, or one of my gentoo boxes, so have tried a few of the
44 > semi-standard addresses other ethernet hubs/routers etc default to, like
45 > 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 and a few more.
50 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list