From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Interrogate network for devices
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 04:59:46
1 On 2008-02-10, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I can connect the cable modem direct to a pc and using the software
4 > that comes with it establish a connection to the internet, but I
5 > wanted to have that firewall/router in between the cable modem and home
6 > pcs.
7
8 You could install Wireshark and capture the traffic between the
9 modem and the PC in the case where it works. That would tell
10 you the modem's MAC address and whether the modem has an IP
11 address or not.
12
13 > The help file that comes with the modem provides no
14 > information about how one talks to the modem. No ethernet
15 > address is supplied. However it is an ethernet device and
16 > connects to the pc with ethernet cable.
17 >
18 > Apparently comcast felt it wiser to provide no details and let
19 > its software do the connecting.
20 >
21 > But can't I learn the IP address (inward facing) of the modem?
22
23 It may not have one.
24
25 > The IP from outside is of course visible to ipconfig, when
26 > connecting to internet from a windows machine thru the cable
27 > modem, but I see nothing that indicates what its lanside
28 > ethernet address is.
29
30 If the PC has an IP address that is visible from the outside,
31 then the modem is running as a bridge and might not have an IP
32 address at all.
33
34 > Its obviously connecting to the pc with dhcp so setting the
35 > netgear to listen for dhcp seemed like it should work... but
36 > doesn't.
37
38 I would think that if the netgear router is a DHCP client on
39 its WAN interface, then connecting the WAN interface to the
40 cable modem should work. I've done that with a few different
41 router/cable-modem combinations with Comcast (nee T-W), and it
42 always worked. Can you trace the newtork traffic between the
43 netgear and the cable modem? That would require either a hub
44 or a properly configured managed switch, so that may not be a
45 simple task.
46
47 > I thought I would be able to connect to the cable modem with a
48 > browser and maybe learn enough to make the netgear
49 > router/firewall connect to it, or one of my gentoo boxes, so
50 > have tried a few of the semi-standard addresses other ethernet
51 > hubs/routers etc default to, like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 and
52 > a few more.
56 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm also pre-POURED
57 at pre-MEDITATED and
58 visi.com pre-RAPHAELITE!!
61 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list