From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Interrogate network for devices
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:57:36
1 On Sunday 10 February 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Sorry for the OT, but unable to raise anyone at comcast right now.
3 >
4 > I think I recall having read somewhere that one can do something to
5 > discover what devices are on a network (Home lan). And what there
6 > addresses are.
7
8 You are looking for route and arp commands. However, if you are not part of a
9 network all you might see is your PC's loopback entry - the arp and routing
10 tables will be empty.
11
12 > I've recently switched from DSL to Cable connection but still have
13 > both working currently.
14 >
15 > I had assumed my netgear-firewall/router would find the Cable modem and
16 > be able to talk to it, but that isn't happening.
17
18 This could be for a number of reasons. Is the cable modem a pure modem, or is
19 it also a router? Is authentication to the ISP's network configured at the
20 PC, or is it configured at the modem?
21
22 If the authentication is configured at the PC/client end rather than the
23 modem, then you are probably not using the correct encapsulation for the
24 cable network and, or have not cloned/spoofed the MAC address of the
25 nominated client (your PC). I guess that your ADSL will be using PPP over
26 ATM (PPPoA), if it's anything like what we have in most of the UK, while your
27 cable is most likely using PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE). In any case, you will
28 need to change the respective settings in your Netgear router. BTW, which
29 router is it? If it is one of the DG834 domestic models, these have both
30 (ADSL) modem and router combined into one unit. Again, depending on whether
31 your cable modem acts as a bridge or as a client on the Comcast network you
32 may or may not need to set up authentication on the router side (in the
33 Netgear modem configuration).
34
35 > I can connect the cable modem direct to a pc and using the software
36 > that comes with it establish a connection to the internet, but I
37 > wanted to have that firewall/router in between the cable modem and home
38 > pcs.
39 >
40 > But that is only on a windows machine.
41
42 That should not stop you finding out what IP address the PC uses to connect to
43 the modem and if needed what the MAC address of the PC's NIC is that Comcast
44 has registered as a legitimate client. Go to My Connections and select the
45 NIC being used to connect to the modem and then click on Status/Support and
46 note what the IP Address: shows. If this a private reserved LAN IP address
47 then check what the Default Gateway: IP address is. Use that in a browser,
48 or telnet console to connect to your modem. If however this is an Internet
49 address then this won't be good for connecting to modem, which is now acting
50 as a bridge to the ISP's network - the IP address is served by your ISP's
51 dhcp server. Another way to find out what IP addresses are being seen by the
52 PC is to go to Run and enter ipconfig /all. Note the IP Address: and Default
53 Gateway: as above. Also note the MAC address (this is called Physical
54 Address). In summary, enter the MAC address into your Netgear router and try
55 to connect without authentication, in the hope that the cable modem deals
56 with that. If this does not work, then also enter the username/passwd and
57 select PPPoE for encapsulation. In both cases select dhcp as opposed to
58 static IP on the router.
59
60 > The help file that comes with the modem provides no information about
61 > how one talks to the modem. No ethernet address is supplied. However
62 > it is an ethernet device and connects to the pc with ethernet cable.
63 >
64 > Apparently comcast felt it wiser to provide no details and let its
65 > software do the connecting.
66
67 This is because the vast majority of users out there will never want or be
68 able to connect to the modem. The few who connect could well mess it up and
69 raise fault tickets unnecessarily. So Comcast are trying to reduce user
70 generated errors proactively.
71
72 > But can't I learn the IP address (inward facing) of the modem? The IP
73 > from outside is of course visible to ipconfig, when connecting to
74 > internet from a windows machine thru the cable modem, but I see
75 > nothing that indicates what its lanside ethernet address is.
76 >
77 > Its obviously connecting to the pc with dhcp so setting the netgear to
78 > listen for dhcp seemed like it should work... but doesn't.
79
80 See above regarding the MAC cloning and authentication encapsulation.
81
82 > I thought I would be able to connect to the cable modem with a browser
83 > and maybe learn enough to make the netgear router/firewall connect to
84 > it, or one of my gentoo boxes, so have tried a few of the
85 > semi-standard addresses other ethernet hubs/routers etc default to, like
86 > 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 and a few more.
87
88 Have you also tried:
89
90 192.168.1.254 and .255
91 10.10.10.1 and 10.1.10.1
92
93 BTW, before you try to connect to any of the above first change your Gentoo's
94 IP address statically, by running as root:
95
96 ifconfig 192.168.0.2
97
98 The exact number is not important as long as it is in the same subdomain (e.g.
99 192.168.0.0) and it does not conflict with the expected LAN IP address of the
100 router.
101
102 A quick way to see who's on the particular subdomain is to run nmap:
103 ===========================================
104 $ nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24
105
106 Starting Nmap 4.50 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-02-10 12:53 GMT
107 Host 192.168.0.1 appears to be up.
108 Host 192.168.0.6 appears to be up.
109 Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (2 hosts up) scanned in 14.301 seconds
110 ===========================================
111
112 In this example I have scanned all addresses within the subdomain 192.168.0.0
113 after I set statically my PC's IP address to 192.168.0.6. As you can see
114 from the results above, by process of elimination 192.168.0.1 is the address
115 of the router.
116
117 HTH.
118 --