From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Interrogate network for devices
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:56:34
1 reader@×××××××.com writes:
2
3 > I've recently switched from DSL to Cable connection but still have
4 > both working currently.
5
6 I've snipped all responses but carefully read through them. I think I
7 didn't provide enough info at the outset.
8
9 I see now that this cable modem has no ethernet address as several
10 posters have suggested.
11
12 Listing models may help the discussion so here they are:
13
14 The Comcast Cable modem: Scientific Atlanta-DPC2100RC (has MAC listed
15 on the sticker)
16
17 Two different Netgear Router/firewalls have been tried. Same router
18 but older and newer models:
19
20 Older Netgear:
21 FVS318 (Says Cable/DSL PROsafe VPN Firewall FVS318 across the front)
22
23 Newer Netgear:
24 FVS318v3 (Says Cable/DSL PROsafe VPN Firewall FVS318 across the front)
25
26 The newer one is a couple of years newer and purchased about 1 yr ago.
27
28 It may just be software differences but they do have somewhat
29 different interfaces. The older one is using the latest software it
30 is capable of loading, as is the newer one, but in the later case the
31 software is a newer version than the old one supports.
32
33 One curious thing here is that both of these Netgear routers have at
34 one time or another been connected to a Comcast provided modem and
35 worked fine. In both of those cases the Netgear using its connection
36 wizard, simply found and ID'ed the cable modem... and just worked from
37 there on. I only setup the lanside addressing since I prefer all
38 static addresses inside.
39
40 Ditto for DSL... again both Netgear routers have worked with DSL
41 routers and again the connection was established by simply running the
42 connection wizard.
43
44 In the current case, neither of these routers was able to just
45 identify and connect to the cable modem or internet through it. And
46 in both cases the wizard ends up saying the connection type is STATIC
47 and offers to accept the static addresses from user. I doubt the
48 addressing is really STATIC.
49
50 I think my next step here will be to take the IP address and
51 Nameserver from IPconfig (or netstat) on the windows box that will
52 connect using the Cable modem, and see if those addresses will work
53 when inserted into the netgears as static outside addresses to connect
54 to.
55
56 If that works, It may hold until a new address is issued for whatever
57 reason from comcast... and I may get some help from them by then.
58
59 I will report back if there is any interest?
62 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list