From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing 2006.1 from the livedvd - is it really possible?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:21:38
1 On Wednesday 13 September 2006 03:49, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > GenToo (at least the 2006.1 livedvd) is driving me nuts.
5 > I have tried several installations (more than 6) and they all
6 > fail by e.g.
7 > EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge mail-mta/ssmtp
8 >
9 > it cannot build a kernel (just copy the kernel on the dvd)
10 > it cannot build
11 > EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge
12 > media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2-r2
13 >
14 > Furthermore I cannot enter the URIs for the ftp-proxie and the
15 > rsync-proxie. The fields are too short.
16 > I have been using the command line installer in 'advanced' mode.
17 >
18 > So, what can I do?
22 If you have broadband, then fall back to installing gentoo manually. I have
23 had nothing but problems, similar t yours, with both the live-cd and
24 live-dvd. Neither one finished to completion, however, the failed live-dvd
25 install left just enough system on the target harddrive that I was able to
26 finish up the install manually.
27
28 Who ever thought these live disks were good for installing from... well... it
29 isn't.
30
31 That said, the Knoppix Live-DVD installs flawlessly to hard drives.
32
33 Jerry.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list