From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To Wifi or not to Wifi...
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 02:07:46
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-07-29 03:32]:
2 > On Tuesday 28 Jul 2015 20:35:55 Todd Goodman wrote:
3 > > * Meino.Cramer@×××.de <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> [150728 15:31]:
4 > > [..SNIP..]
5 > >
6 > > > Hi Todd,
7 > > >
8 > > > thanks for all your help and patience... :))
9 > > >
10 > > > The recursive(recursive(recursive).problem.).problem).problem has
11 > > > been solved by rebooting my PC (due to the new kernel) and restarting
12 > > > the tablet PC.
13 > > >
14 > > > Now I am fighting against dhcpd...as sson as I want to start that
15 > > > beast its telling me that dhcpd.ldap is missing. This was not
16 > > > installed (at least as an example) by emerge. I have no idea what
17 > > > is to get into that file.
18 > > >
19 > > > I will check create_ap...may be it is more intelligent than me in
20 > > > writing config-files ;)
21 > > >
22 > > > But unfortunately I have to stop my journey here for today...it is
23 > > > late here (9:00 pm) and I have to get out early tommorrow (4:00 am).
24 > > >
25 > > > But /I want/ to get this running finally.
26 > > > We will see.
27 > > > As soon I have something new, I will post more of the contents
28 > > > of my harddisk ;)
29 > > >
30 > > > Best regards and thanks again! 8)
31 > > > Meino
32 > >
33 > > Hi Meino,
34 > >
35 > > You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help (and get this
36 > > solved!)
37 > >
38 > > I'm sure you will eventually.
39 > >
40 > > Please let us know how it goes once you get back to it.
41 > >
42 > > Good night,
43 > >
44 > > Todd
45 >
46 > A lot seems to have been progressed with since I last contributed to this
47 > thread. Given that WiFi related problems were solved thanks to Todd's good
48 > help, perhaps Meino should start a thread on setting up a local dhcp server?
49 >
50 > However, I would recommend that you set a static route, gateway and IP address
51 > on your tablet pointing to the PC and on the PC you configure IP Masquerading,
52 > so that it can NAT connections from the tablet to the Internet.
53 >
54 > However, if you must be running a dhcp server, then emerge and configure net-
55 > misc/dhcp on the PC.
56 >
57 > --
58 > Regards,
59 > Mick
62 Hi Mick,
63
64 thanks for your reply ! 8)
65
66 the current problem is the authentication problem and with my limited
67 knowledge about the wifi topic I cannot decide, whether it is a
68 problem related to wifi setups of or related to "after wifi" - that is
69 the timeout happens because there is no data transfer, because the
70 table does not get an IP addr from the PC.
71
72 Setting up an static IP address scheme is a good idea! Unfortunately
73 the tablet does not allow to assign an IP statically. It is an Android
74 Lollipop based tablet, wifi only, no gsm.
75 I searched the GUI up and down - there is an field "IP-adress" and
76 "MAC-address" but they are not selectable or react on
77 clicking/tapping.
78
79 I think I have to go the dhcpd way for accomplish the assignments of IP-addresses.
80
81 Before I will go to work, I will check create_ap as Todd suggested and
82 see whether it will solve the knot.
83 I will also trace the handshake with wireshark. May be this will give
84 an addition insight also.
85
86 When I will get more information where the whole authentications stuff
87 fails, I will start an new dhcpd thread or I will add more here.
88
89 Thanks for all your help Mick! 8)
90
91 Best regards,
92 Meino
95 I could remember the good ole day, when data was transmit through good
96 ole copper...<sigh>