From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 18:29:36
1 On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 8:11 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 15:21:09 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 6:51 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
6 >
7 > --->8
8 >
9 > > OK, so card 0 is using snd_hda_intel. Card 0 is most likely the default
10 > > location that sound is going. Blacklisting it will help. That said you
11 have
12 > > 2 USB devices so we need to be careful about extra confusion there. For
13 > > simplicity you might just unplug the webcam (if you can - if this is a
14 > > built-in in a laptop then I understand you have limitations.)
15 >
16 > --->8
17 >
18 > > > Nope. No pulseaudio.
19 > >
20 > > What is the output of pulseaudio at the command line?
21 >
22 > Not found.
23 >
24 > > Or maybe just no pluseaudio tools, or whatever it's called on Gentoo
25 > > assuming it's a separate package. I'm no longer running Gentoo (I just
26 find
27 > > this list the best place to get real info) A quick google for
28 pavucontrol
29 > > suggests you can emerge media-sound/pavucontrol to get it.
30 >
31 > Do I need it? I have sound without it. To install it I'd have to set the
32 > pulseaudio USE flag; then emerge -uaDvN @world would reinstall 19
33 packages and
34 > install 10 new ones.
37 Ah, so now we have more clues about what's going on. KDE supplies
38 pulseaudio. AFAIK it's part of the KDE installation on other distros. I'm
39 running Kubuntu LTS, not Gentoo, so I have pulseaudio because it's what the
40 Kubuntu guys give me. You have a USE flag that __YOU__ took responsibility
41 for turning off. (I'm not clear from this discussion what packages have a
42 pulseaudio flag - multiple packages I assume?
43
44 </SNARK> I have no idea whether rebuilding 19 packages and installing 10
45 new ones is a big deal for your system, nor can I say what the impact of
46 those changes would be to the way your system operates, but you're a Gentoo
47 guys so you must (!! ;) !!)) love building packages and experiments, right?
48 ;-) (It's why I gave up using Gentoo for my desktop computers. I don't like
49 experiments so much anymore!)
52 > > Use KDE systemsettings, search for sound, choose 'Multimedia', Under
53 'Audio
54 > > Volume' what do you see? What device is set as default? (This part of
55 > > systemsettings is very similar to pavucontrol but it doesn't give you
56 the
57 > > VU meters which are nicely visible to see what apps are generating
58 audio.
59 >
60 > KDE system settings have changed since your day, Mark; there's now no
61 > reference to the hardware at all under Multimedia; only CDDB. There's no
62 > useful USE flag on it.
65 Or your choice to disable USE flags has removed some of the 'features' of
66 KDE. Again, I'm using completely updated stable Kubuntu LTS for my
67 day-to-day systems so there are clearly differences. However I suggest here
68 that the reason there is no multimedia under audio in system settings may
69 be because you haven't included the pulseaudio USE flag.
70
71 And I do understand that pulseaudio is sort of like Joan Jett singing Bad
72 Reputation. Joan, pulseaudio and by extension Mr. Pottering pretty much
73 'just don't care about my bad reputation'.
74
75 > --->8
76 >
77 > > > Third, I haven't any alsa packages installed, except for alsamixer
78 which I
79 > > > installed to help with this problem (it didn't). There's no starting
80 or
81 > > > stopping alsa; KDE seems to have what it needs without alsa
82 specifically.
83 > > > That's why I had no asound.conf; it's also why I rebooted instead of
84 doing
85 > > > something less heavy handed. Then again, why do I need an asound.conf?
86 > >
87 > > No. The fact that you can cat "/proc/asound" asound being "Alsa Sound"
88 says
89 > > Alsa is running. Alsa talks to your sound card hardware and provides a
90 > > "single application" interface to the sound cards. Pulseaudio provides a
91 > > mixer so that multiple apps can all send sound to your hardware.
92 >
93 > To clarify:
94 > prh@peak ~ $ eix -Ic alsa
95 > [I] media-libs/alsa-lib (1.2.2{tbz2}@22/04/20): Advanced Linux Sound
96 > Architecture Library
97 > prh@peak ~ $ eix -Ic audio
98 > [I] media-libs/audiofile (0.3.6-r3(0/1){tbz2}@11/04/20): An elegant API
99 for
100 > accessing audio files
101 >
102 > I can already send sound from several apps at once to the hardware - at
103 least,
104 > I could with the built-in Intel hardware. Time will tell how the USB
105 device
106 > fares. I think KDE must use media-libs/alsa-lib directly. It must be
107 doing a
108 > lot of work under the bonnet.
111 If Alsa under the hood is doing everything you need then let's drop the
112 pulseaudio part. pulseaudio is conceptually just a mixer.
113
114 > > I personally don't think you need asound.conf until you prove that you
115 have
116 > > a need to do some sort of non-standard configuration. That _might_ be
117 > > defining a different default card but KDE can do that for you in system
118 > > settings so my recommendation is no asound.conf for now. Use KDE as it's
119 > > intended and (over the long run) I think it's more maintainable.
120 However,
121 > > you are completely free to use your system any way you want.
122 >
123 > Thanks for your help.
126 Not sure I've helped so far. Sorry!
127
128 Have you blacklisted the snd_hda_intel driver, at least as a test? If so,
129 do you only see the USB card and the snd_usb_driver in /proc/asound? If so
130 do you have sound from the USB device?
131
132 I have nothing against creating an asound.conf file, if you want to, but I
133 don't have any recent experience with doing that. However it should allow
134 you to set your USB device as default if it's done correctly but in this
135 test configuration with blacklisted snd_hda_intel drivers I don't think
136 it's necessary and cannot see how it improves anything yet.
137
138 Mark