From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 22:38:22
1 On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 19:29:18 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > Ah, so now we have more clues about what's going on. KDE supplies
4 > pulseaudio.
5
6 Not here, it doesn't, as far as I can see. It may emulate it, I suppose.
7
8 > AFAIK it's part of the KDE installation on other distros. I'm
9 > running Kubuntu LTS, not Gentoo, so I have pulseaudio because it's what the
10 > Kubuntu guys give me. You have a USE flag that __YOU__ took responsibility
11 > for turning off. (I'm not clear from this discussion what packages have a
12 > pulseaudio flag - multiple packages I assume?
13
14 I haven't switched any USE flags off. This is the standard plasma profile, apart
15 from 18 package.use files that have nothing to do with sound.
16
17 > </SNARK> I have no idea whether rebuilding 19 packages and installing 10
18 > new ones is a big deal for your system, nor can I say what the impact of
19 > those changes would be to the way your system operates, but you're a Gentoo
20 > guys so you must (!! ;) !!)) love building packages and experiments, right?
21 > ;-) (It's why I gave up using Gentoo for my desktop computers. I don't like
22 > experiments so much anymore!)
23
24 No, of course that many package changes aren't a big deal; I mentioned it to
25 show what a big change would be involved to a previously working system.
26
27 > > > Use KDE systemsettings, search for sound, choose 'Multimedia', Under
28 > > > 'Audio Volume' what do you see? What device is set as default? (This
29 > > > part of systemsettings is very similar to pavucontrol but it doesn't
30 > > > give you the VU meters which are nicely visible to see what apps are
31 > > > generating audio.
32 >
33 > > KDE system settings have changed since your day, Mark; there's now no
34 > > reference to the hardware at all under Multimedia; only CDDB.
35 >
36 > Or your choice to disable USE flags has removed some of the 'features' of
37 > KDE.
38
39 Not so, as I said above.
40
41 > Again, I'm using completely updated stable Kubuntu LTS for my
42 > day-to-day systems so there are clearly differences. However I suggest here
43 > that the reason there is no multimedia under audio in system settings may
44 > be because you haven't included the pulseaudio USE flag.
45
46 I haven't _added_ a pulseaudio USE flag because I haven't needed it. I haven't
47 removed one either.
48
49 > And I do understand that pulseaudio is sort of like Joan Jett singing Bad
50 > Reputation. Joan, pulseaudio and by extension Mr. Pottering pretty much
51 > 'just don't care about my bad reputation'.
52
53 Sorry, those allusions are lost on me.
54
55 --->8
56
57 > > Thanks for your help.
58 >
59 > Not sure I've helped so far. Sorry!
60
61 Yes, you've given me several ideas, for which much thanks.
64 Regards,
65 Peter.