From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing -- Solved
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:08:21
1 On Tuesday 06 January 2009 15:39:48 I wrote:
2
3 > I have a server with two printers connected, set up using the cups Web
4 > page and operating properly. Now I want to send print jobs to them from
5 > my workstation, which is on the same network, and with the same version
6 > of cups: 1.3.9-r1. One of the printers is an HP Deskjet D4260, so I also
7 > have hplip version 2.8.6b installed on both machines. I can connect
8 > either printer to either machine and print locally without any problems.
9 >
10 > However, I cannot get anything to print over the network. If, on the
11 > workstation, I declare the network laser printer and connect to it, all
12 > appears to work until I send a print job to it; the job sits in the lp
13 > queue locally, and when I next look at the status of the printer it
14 > says "Destination printer does not exist!"
15 >
16 > If I try to set up the Deskjet as a remote printer in the local cups
17 > server, I get "Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "HP_Deskjet_D4260" not
18 > available: No such file or directory".
19 >
20 > I don't know what to try next. Anyone any idea here?
21
22 Well, I don't know what I did differently, but once again I zapped the
23 server root partition, recovered it from a known good, minimal backup,
24 brought it up to date and set cups up again. Now when I go to a client box
25 and run the KDE printer setup utility, it shows the printers and even
26 allows me to configure them. I don't touch the cups server on the client,
27 other than to point /etc/cups/client.conf to the server.
28
29 There are still some oddities, but those can wait now.
30
31 Thanks to all for their help.
34 Rgds
35 Peter