From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 15:40:44
1 Hello,
2
3 As it's the New Year, perhaps it's time to resume banging my head on this
4 wall again.
5
6 I have a server with two printers connected, set up using the cups Web page
7 and operating properly. Now I want to send print jobs to them from my
8 workstation, which is on the same network, and with the same version of
9 cups: 1.3.9-r1. One of the printers is an HP Deskjet D4260, so I also have
10 hplip version 2.8.6b installed on both machines. I can connect either
11 printer to either machine and print locally without any problems.
12
13 However, I cannot get anything to print over the network. If, on the
14 workstation, I declare the network laser printer and connect to it, all
15 appears to work until I send a print job to it; the job sits in the lp
16 queue locally, and when I next look at the status of the printer it
17 says "Destination printer does not exist!"
18
19 If I try to set up the Deskjet as a remote printer in the local cups server,
20 I get "Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "HP_Deskjet_D4260" not available:
21 No such file or directory".
22
23 I don't know what to try next. Anyone any idea here?
26 Rgds
27 Peter