From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:05:29
1 On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > As it's the New Year, perhaps it's time to resume banging my head on this
5 > wall again.
6 >
7 > I have a server with two printers connected, set up using the cups Web page
8 > and operating properly. Now I want to send print jobs to them from my
9 > workstation, which is on the same network, and with the same version of
10 > cups: 1.3.9-r1. One of the printers is an HP Deskjet D4260, so I also have
11 > hplip version 2.8.6b installed on both machines. I can connect either
12 > printer to either machine and print locally without any problems.
13 >
14 > However, I cannot get anything to print over the network. If, on the
15 > workstation, I declare the network laser printer and connect to it, all
16 > appears to work until I send a print job to it; the job sits in the lp
17 > queue locally, and when I next look at the status of the printer it
18 > says "Destination printer does not exist!"
19 >
20 > If I try to set up the Deskjet as a remote printer in the local cups server,
21 > I get "Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "HP_Deskjet_D4260" not available:
22 > No such file or directory".
23 >
24 > I don't know what to try next. Anyone any idea here?
25 >
26 > --
27 > Rgds
28 > Peter
29
30 Hi Peter,
31 For the sake of conversation how about emerge flags?
32
33 My server:
34
35 Sector9 ~ # emerge -pv cups hplip
36
37 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
38
39 Calculating dependencies... done!
40 [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.9-r1 USE="X acl dbus jpeg ldap pam
41 perl png ppds python samba ssl tiff -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos
42 -php -slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he
43 -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB
44
45 [ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-2.8.6b USE="dbus ppds qt3 qt4
46 -cupsddk -doc -fax -minimal -parport -scanner -snmp" 0 kB
49 One of my clients:
50
51 dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv cups hplip
52
53 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
54
55 Calculating dependencies... done!
56 [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.9-r1 USE="X acl dbus jpeg ldap pam
57 perl png ppds python ssl tiff -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos -php
58 -samba -slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he
59 -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB
60
61 [ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-2.8.6b USE="dbus ppds qt3 qt4
62 -cupsddk -doc -fax -minimal -parport -scanner -snmp" 0 kB
63
64 I can send config files again if you need them but they haven't
65 changed in the few weeks since you looked at this.
66
67 Cheers,
68 Mark