From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 18:44:50
1 I think you are very close to getting it to work but just need to get LP configured correctly. It sounds like you have both systems configured as the "Server", which is not correct.
2
3 For your workstation, follow the "Client" directions below:
4 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/quick-samba-howto.xml#doc_chap5
7 Which is basically two steps:
8
9 1) Modify '/etc/cups/client.conf' and tell it where the server is.
10 2) Configure LP:
11 - use lpstat to see the available printers
12 - use lpoptions to set the default printer
13
14 The beauty of CUPS is that any new printer you install on the server automatically becomes available to all clients. On Windows, you need additional drivers; but for other CUPS clients, it takes care of it for you internally (to my understanding).
15
16 I believe you only need HPLIP on the server side, not the client side. But having it there shouldn't do any harm.
17
18 HTH,
19
20 Ben
23 ----- Original Message ----
24 From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
25 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
26 Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:39:48 AM
27 Subject: [gentoo-user] Network printing
28
29 Hello,
30
31 As it's the New Year, perhaps it's time to resume banging my head on this
32 wall again.
33
34 I have a server with two printers connected, set up using the cups Web page
35 and operating properly. Now I want to send print jobs to them from my
36 workstation, which is on the same network, and with the same version of
37 cups: 1.3.9-r1. One of the printers is an HP Deskjet D4260, so I also have
38 hplip version 2.8.6b installed on both machines. I can connect either
39 printer to either machine and print locally without any problems.
40
41 However, I cannot get anything to print over the network. If, on the
42 workstation, I declare the network laser printer and connect to it, all
43 appears to work until I send a print job to it; the job sits in the lp
44 queue locally, and when I next look at the status of the printer it
45 says "Destination printer does not exist!"
46
47 If I try to set up the Deskjet as a remote printer in the local cups server,
48 I get "Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "HP_Deskjet_D4260" not available:
49 No such file or directory".
50
51 I don't know what to try next. Anyone any idea here?
54 Rgds
55 Peter