From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wifi slow motion data transfer
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:09:05
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> [15-07-29 19:46]:
2 > <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
5 > > J. Roeleveld <joost <at> antarean.org> [15-07-29 16:38]:
6 > > > On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 05:18:25 AM Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de wrote:
7 >
8 > > > Is this speed between both machines? Or to the internet?
9 >
10 > Joost is exactly correct here. Test the links one connection at
11 > a time, not just all a once. You'll be able to get a 'sit of pants' feeling
12 > about the capabilities on each link (between devices). There are many many
13 > issues so let's first characterize each link by the bandwith.
16 > On ethernet interfaces this is a really cool tool::
17 >
18 > net-analyzer/bwmon and net-analyzer/nbwmon
19 >
20 > > I fired up create_ip like this (just for testing and haveing at least
21 > > ONE experienced succes with this Wifi stuff...):
22 > >
23 > > create_ap wlan0 eth1 <name> <pass>
24 > >
25 > > How can I check for the type of WIFI after the connection has been
26 > > established?
27 >
28 > 'ip link' and 'netstat -nr' are a good start. Later on we'll get
29 > you some gui tools and a monitoring software (a ton of options)...
32 > > USB is USB 2.0
33 > >
34 > > The speed is measured by conky, which reads the transfer rate at eth0.
35 > > At that tome, the tablet was getting a greater piece of tar archive
36 > > (LInux for Android) and no other traffic other than this was there.
37 > > The DSL was by far not saturated.
38 >
39 > Really? How do you know. It take lots of experimenting and testing
40 > and data collection over time to figure our exactly what your
41 > ISp(s) are doing. Usually several ISPs are in a link until you hit
42 > a 'peering point'
43 >
44 > 'net-analyzer/traceroute'
45 >
46 > is your friend. At some point the ISPs will block traceroute info....
49 > > So physically it is the speed of the internet but logically it is
50 > > nearly identical to what happens at the Wifi interface (I think).
51 > > I will check for an app which displays the speed measured on the
52 > > tablets interface...
53 >
54 > This is a very, very complicated issue. ISP(s) use devices to deliver
55 > and partition bandwidth; some with an incredible level of control
56 > (granularity). For instances they can 'port constrict' a service
57 > or a route to an endpoint or any number of things. So first fully
58 > study (characterize) the behavior of the links (connnections between
59 > devices) that you manage and develop that 'seat of pants' feeling about the
60 > network segments you manage. Then start sniffing up the outside folks,
61 > as best you can with the tools in the portage tree.....(many).
64 > You need to also understand that Usb has it's own problems, protocols and
65 > issues depending on how it was implemented by the chipsets use and the
66 > firmware inside the product. Other protocol (latencies and such) are layered
67 > on top of that. Ju are 'full stack' wheelin and dealing as soon
68 > as your run gui apps across that link.........brau.
71 > > Best regards,
72 > > Meino
73 >
74 > ttfn,
75 > Always your pal!
76 > James
79 Hi James,
80
81 :)
82
83 The solution was as simple as follows:
84
85 I did this:
86
87 ./create_ap wlan0 eth1 <name> <pass>
88
89 and I was happy to have my first access point created...
90 that one which seems to use morse code to transfer data.
91 That was yesterday evenining.
92 The I heard of different protocols from which one was
93 old and slow and others speedy and "newer"
94
95 Then I did this (a few miniutes ago):
96 ./create_ap --ieee80211n wlan0 eth1 <name> <pass>
97
98 And TADA! the internet transfer rate measured with conky
99 (as mentioned before) jumps from 80Kb/sec up to the most
100 my DSL can delver (which is not that much, since I have
101 choosen a cheap low end of transfer rates possible from
102 my DSL provider. NOW the linux installation on my Android
103 tablet show real progress (and fails for other reasons,
104 I currently dont have figured out).
105
106 I am happy with the result - except for the non working
107 Linux installation, which is another problem...unfortunately
108 I dont speak a single word Russian and the forum of the
109 Android Installation tool is Russian spoken...
110
111 We will see, James.
112
113 Thank you very much for your detailed help!!! 8)
114
115 Best regards,
116 Meino