From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Wifi slow motion data transfer
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:38:34
1 <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
4 > J. Roeleveld <joost <at> antarean.org> [15-07-29 16:38]:
5 > > On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 05:18:25 AM Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de wrote:
6
7 > > Is this speed between both machines? Or to the internet?
8
9 Joost is exactly correct here. Test the links one connection at
10 a time, not just all a once. You'll be able to get a 'sit of pants' feeling
11 about the capabilities on each link (between devices). There are many many
12 issues so let's first characterize each link by the bandwith.
15 On ethernet interfaces this is a really cool tool::
16
17 net-analyzer/bwmon and net-analyzer/nbwmon
18
19 > I fired up create_ip like this (just for testing and haveing at least
20 > ONE experienced succes with this Wifi stuff...):
21 >
22 > create_ap wlan0 eth1 <name> <pass>
23 >
24 > How can I check for the type of WIFI after the connection has been
25 > established?
26
27 'ip link' and 'netstat -nr' are a good start. Later on we'll get
28 you some gui tools and a monitoring software (a ton of options)...
31 > USB is USB 2.0
32 >
33 > The speed is measured by conky, which reads the transfer rate at eth0.
34 > At that tome, the tablet was getting a greater piece of tar archive
35 > (LInux for Android) and no other traffic other than this was there.
36 > The DSL was by far not saturated.
37
38 Really? How do you know. It take lots of experimenting and testing
39 and data collection over time to figure our exactly what your
40 ISp(s) are doing. Usually several ISPs are in a link until you hit
41 a 'peering point'
42
43 'net-analyzer/traceroute'
44
45 is your friend. At some point the ISPs will block traceroute info....
48 > So physically it is the speed of the internet but logically it is
49 > nearly identical to what happens at the Wifi interface (I think).
50 > I will check for an app which displays the speed measured on the
51 > tablets interface...
52
53 This is a very, very complicated issue. ISP(s) use devices to deliver
54 and partition bandwidth; some with an incredible level of control
55 (granularity). For instances they can 'port constrict' a service
56 or a route to an endpoint or any number of things. So first fully
57 study (characterize) the behavior of the links (connnections between
58 devices) that you manage and develop that 'seat of pants' feeling about the
59 network segments you manage. Then start sniffing up the outside folks,
60 as best you can with the tools in the portage tree.....(many).
63 You need to also understand that Usb has it's own problems, protocols and
64 issues depending on how it was implemented by the chipsets use and the
65 firmware inside the product. Other protocol (latencies and such) are layered
66 on top of that. Ju are 'full stack' wheelin and dealing as soon
67 as your run gui apps across that link.........brau.
70 > Best regards,
71 > Meino
72
73 ttfn,