From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wifi slow motion data transfer
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:11:24
1 On Wednesday 29 Jul 2015 18:38:07 James wrote:
2 > <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
3 > > J. Roeleveld <joost <at> antarean.org> [15-07-29 16:38]:
4 > > > On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 05:18:25 AM Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Is this speed between both machines? Or to the internet?
7 >
8 > Joost is exactly correct here. Test the links one connection at
9 > a time, not just all a once. You'll be able to get a 'sit of pants' feeling
10 > about the capabilities on each link (between devices). There are many many
11 > issues so let's first characterize each link by the bandwith.
14 > On ethernet interfaces this is a really cool tool::
15 >
16 > net-analyzer/bwmon and net-analyzer/nbwmon
17 >
18 > > I fired up create_ip like this (just for testing and haveing at least
19 > > ONE experienced succes with this Wifi stuff...):
20 > >
21 > > create_ap wlan0 eth1 <name> <pass>
22 > >
23 > > How can I check for the type of WIFI after the connection has been
24 > > established?
25 >
26 > 'ip link' and 'netstat -nr' are a good start. Later on we'll get
27 > you some gui tools and a monitoring software (a ton of options)...
28 >
29 > > USB is USB 2.0
30 > >
31 > > The speed is measured by conky, which reads the transfer rate at eth0.
32 > > At that tome, the tablet was getting a greater piece of tar archive
33 > > (LInux for Android) and no other traffic other than this was there.
34 > > The DSL was by far not saturated.
35 >
36 > Really? How do you know. It take lots of experimenting and testing
37 > and data collection over time to figure our exactly what your
38 > ISp(s) are doing. Usually several ISPs are in a link until you hit
39 > a 'peering point'
40 >
41 > 'net-analyzer/traceroute'
42 >
43 > is your friend. At some point the ISPs will block traceroute info....
44 >
45 > > So physically it is the speed of the internet but logically it is
46 > > nearly identical to what happens at the Wifi interface (I think).
47 > > I will check for an app which displays the speed measured on the
48 > > tablets interface...
49 >
50 > This is a very, very complicated issue. ISP(s) use devices to deliver
51 > and partition bandwidth; some with an incredible level of control
52 > (granularity). For instances they can 'port constrict' a service
53 > or a route to an endpoint or any number of things. So first fully
54 > study (characterize) the behavior of the links (connnections between
55 > devices) that you manage and develop that 'seat of pants' feeling about the
56 > network segments you manage. Then start sniffing up the outside folks,
57 > as best you can with the tools in the portage tree.....(many).
60 > You need to also understand that Usb has it's own problems, protocols and
61 > issues depending on how it was implemented by the chipsets use and the
62 > firmware inside the product. Other protocol (latencies and such) are
63 > layered on top of that. Ju are 'full stack' wheelin and dealing as soon
64 > as your run gui apps across that link.........brau.
65 >
66 > > Best regards,
67 > > Meino
68 >
69 > ttfn,
70 > Always your pal!
71 > James
72
73 It could also be that the tablet has a slow write speed, if you were
74 downloading a file. Can you stream a video instead and see if this is
75 achieving a higher speed?
78 Regards,
79 Mick