From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wifi slow motion data transfer
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:35:41
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-07-29 20:16]:
2 > On Wednesday 29 Jul 2015 18:38:07 James wrote:
3 > > <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
4 > > > J. Roeleveld <joost <at> antarean.org> [15-07-29 16:38]:
5 > > > > On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 05:18:25 AM Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de wrote:
6 > > > >
7 > > > > Is this speed between both machines? Or to the internet?
8 > >
9 > > Joost is exactly correct here. Test the links one connection at
10 > > a time, not just all a once. You'll be able to get a 'sit of pants' feeling
11 > > about the capabilities on each link (between devices). There are many many
12 > > issues so let's first characterize each link by the bandwith.
15 > > On ethernet interfaces this is a really cool tool::
16 > >
17 > > net-analyzer/bwmon and net-analyzer/nbwmon
18 > >
19 > > > I fired up create_ip like this (just for testing and haveing at least
20 > > > ONE experienced succes with this Wifi stuff...):
21 > > >
22 > > > create_ap wlan0 eth1 <name> <pass>
23 > > >
24 > > > How can I check for the type of WIFI after the connection has been
25 > > > established?
26 > >
27 > > 'ip link' and 'netstat -nr' are a good start. Later on we'll get
28 > > you some gui tools and a monitoring software (a ton of options)...
29 > >
30 > > > USB is USB 2.0
31 > > >
32 > > > The speed is measured by conky, which reads the transfer rate at eth0.
33 > > > At that tome, the tablet was getting a greater piece of tar archive
34 > > > (LInux for Android) and no other traffic other than this was there.
35 > > > The DSL was by far not saturated.
36 > >
37 > > Really? How do you know. It take lots of experimenting and testing
38 > > and data collection over time to figure our exactly what your
39 > > ISp(s) are doing. Usually several ISPs are in a link until you hit
40 > > a 'peering point'
41 > >
42 > > 'net-analyzer/traceroute'
43 > >
44 > > is your friend. At some point the ISPs will block traceroute info....
45 > >
46 > > > So physically it is the speed of the internet but logically it is
47 > > > nearly identical to what happens at the Wifi interface (I think).
48 > > > I will check for an app which displays the speed measured on the
49 > > > tablets interface...
50 > >
51 > > This is a very, very complicated issue. ISP(s) use devices to deliver
52 > > and partition bandwidth; some with an incredible level of control
53 > > (granularity). For instances they can 'port constrict' a service
54 > > or a route to an endpoint or any number of things. So first fully
55 > > study (characterize) the behavior of the links (connnections between
56 > > devices) that you manage and develop that 'seat of pants' feeling about the
57 > > network segments you manage. Then start sniffing up the outside folks,
58 > > as best you can with the tools in the portage tree.....(many).
61 > > You need to also understand that Usb has it's own problems, protocols and
62 > > issues depending on how it was implemented by the chipsets use and the
63 > > firmware inside the product. Other protocol (latencies and such) are
64 > > layered on top of that. Ju are 'full stack' wheelin and dealing as soon
65 > > as your run gui apps across that link.........brau.
66 > >
67 > > > Best regards,
68 > > > Meino
69 > >
70 > > ttfn,
71 > > Always your pal!
72 > > James
73 >
74 > It could also be that the tablet has a slow write speed, if you were
75 > downloading a file. Can you stream a video instead and see if this is
76 > achieving a higher speed?
77 >
78 > --
79 > Regards,
80 > Mick
83 Hi Mick,
84
85 thanks for your infos! :)
86
87 yupp! Works like a charm (video streaming)!
88
89 It was a default setting in create_ap which seems to select an old
90 procotol based on drums and morse code... ;)
91 After adding --ieee80211n to the commandline the problem vanished
92 and the data transfer rate jumps up to a level, where the limiting
93 device was my DSL provider :)
94
95 I am happy with that now !
96