From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why isn't sshd blocking repeated failed login attempts?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:01:52
1 On Friday 23 January 2009 22:54:24 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > > A friend once mentioned on a forum that he'd managed to set up static
3 > > libwrap rules in hosts.allow|deny for addresses that don't change and
4 > > additionally port-knocking for himself to open up port 22 for a few
5 > > minutes. I don't recall how he did this, only that he claimed to have
6 > > done it.
7 >
8 > I've never tried it but I have always liked the idea. I connect to
9 > sshd from linux (my laptop), windows (my work desktop) and symbian (my
10 > phone).
11 >
12 > knockd and the knocking client should be no problem for linux &
13 > windows, but for my phone I'd probably have to make one myself. Is it
14 > as simple as making a connection to a specific sequence of ports with
15 > specific timing? I could probably do that easily in python. Sounds
16 > like a project for this weekend. :)
17
18 I'm no expert but AFAIK that is the general idea
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com