From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why isn't sshd blocking repeated failed login attempts?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:54:52
1 On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 23 January 2009 22:22:17 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> I essentially want it to work the other way around. Deny access by
4 >> default unless there is an allow rule. I don't think I can do that,
5 >> though. If I put ALL: ALL or sshd: ALL in the hosts.deny file, it will
6 >> deny ME access to my own machine. I don't want that. Since I don't
7 >> have a specific IP i will connect from, I can't allow any specific IP
8 >> (or else I'd be doing it that way already).
9 >>
10 >> How can I accomplish this?:
11 >>
12 >> Allow all ssh connections unless they are in hosts.deny
13 >> Deny all other connections unless they are in hosts.allow
14 >
15 > Have you looked at port knocking?
16 >
17 > It's a complete ball ache to set up and use, far less useful than it seems,
18 > but it might also solve your conundrum.
19 >
20 > A friend once mentioned on a forum that he'd managed to set up static libwrap
21 > rules in hosts.allow|deny for addresses that don't change and additionally
22 > port-knocking for himself to open up port 22 for a few minutes. I don't
23 > recall how he did this, only that he claimed to have done it.
24
25 I've never tried it but I have always liked the idea. I connect to
26 sshd from linux (my laptop), windows (my work desktop) and symbian (my
27 phone).
28
29 knockd and the knocking client should be no problem for linux &
30 windows, but for my phone I'd probably have to make one myself. Is it
31 as simple as making a connection to a specific sequence of ports with
32 specific timing? I could probably do that easily in python. Sounds
33 like a project for this weekend. :)
34
35 thanks,
36 paul