From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why isn't sshd blocking repeated failed login attempts?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:34:30
1 On Friday 23 January 2009 22:22:17 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > I essentially want it to work the other way around. Deny access by
3 > default unless there is an allow rule. I don't think I can do that,
4 > though. If I put ALL: ALL or sshd: ALL in the hosts.deny file, it will
5 > deny ME access to my own machine. I don't want that. Since I don't
6 > have a specific IP i will connect from, I can't allow any specific IP
7 > (or else I'd be doing it that way already).
8 >
9 > How can I accomplish this?:
10 >
11 > Allow all ssh connections unless they are in hosts.deny
12 > Deny all other connections unless they are in hosts.allow
13
14 Have you looked at port knocking?
15
16 It's a complete ball ache to set up and use, far less useful than it seems,
17 but it might also solve your conundrum.
18
19 A friend once mentioned on a forum that he'd managed to set up static libwrap
20 rules in hosts.allow|deny for addresses that don't change and additionally
21 port-knocking for himself to open up port 22 for a few minutes. I don't
22 recall how he did this, only that he claimed to have done it.
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com