From: Willie <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unexpected Power Loss!
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 02:30:03
1 I will be doing that tonight if I can get it to stay on long enough! :-)
2
3 On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com
4 > wrote:
5
6 > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 04:42:45PM -0800, Willie wrote:
7 > > Hey Everyone,
8 > >
9 > > I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. It seems that
10 > > whenever I am in Linux my computer will just turn off. Not shutdown like
11 > I
12 > > did "shutdown -r now". Just completely off out of the blue at random
13 > times.
14 > > I have been reading the logs but there is nothing helpful at all. It is
15 > > never the same thing on the logs when it does just shutdown. Sometime I
16 > can
17 > > boot up and it will go off when it says "Waiting for udev events to
18 > finish"
19 > > or something like that.
20 > >
21 > > I haven't done any major upgrades in awhile, there is really nothing
22 > > different. I installed Windows last night to see if it is a hardware
23 > thing
24 > > but nope it stays on. I also tried reinstalling Gentoo on a couple of
25 > > occasions on another Hard Drive but it just shutdown while I was getting
26 > it
27 > > done.
28 > >
29 > > Any help is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to be in Windows
30 > after
31 > > I spent all that time customizing my XFCE4 desktop.
32 >
33 > Can you put app-admin/mcelog in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords and
34 > emerge it? It's maintainer wanted right now, so the only way to get the
35 > updated software is ~arch. This will give you /var/log/mcelog ... atm I'm
36 > on
37 > meds and can't remember the specifics to set it up ... "man mcelog" will
38 > help.
39 >
40 > You can "dmesg | grep -i mce" now and see if there are any MCE errors.
41 > --
42 > Happy Penguin Gymnastics >')
43 > 126 Fenco Drive ( \
44 > Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^