From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unexpected Power Loss!
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 00:59:28
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 04:42:45PM -0800, Willie wrote:
2 > Hey Everyone,
3 >
4 > I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. It seems that
5 > whenever I am in Linux my computer will just turn off. Not shutdown like I
6 > did "shutdown -r now". Just completely off out of the blue at random times.
7 > I have been reading the logs but there is nothing helpful at all. It is
8 > never the same thing on the logs when it does just shutdown. Sometime I can
9 > boot up and it will go off when it says "Waiting for udev events to finish"
10 > or something like that.
11 >
12 > I haven't done any major upgrades in awhile, there is really nothing
13 > different. I installed Windows last night to see if it is a hardware thing
14 > but nope it stays on. I also tried reinstalling Gentoo on a couple of
15 > occasions on another Hard Drive but it just shutdown while I was getting it
16 > done.
17 >
18 > Any help is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to be in Windows after
19 > I spent all that time customizing my XFCE4 desktop.
20
21 Can you put app-admin/mcelog in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords and
22 emerge it? It's maintainer wanted right now, so the only way to get the
23 updated software is ~arch. This will give you /var/log/mcelog ... atm I'm on
24 meds and can't remember the specifics to set it up ... "man mcelog" will help.
25
26 You can "dmesg | grep -i mce" now and see if there are any MCE errors.
27 --
28 Happy Penguin Gymnastics >')
29 126 Fenco Drive ( \
30 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^