From: Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-kernel/gentoo-sources vs. sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel vs. sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 15:48:11
1 Am Dienstag, 21. April 2020, 17:33:05 CEST schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > On 21/04/2020 18:05, Gerion Entrup wrote:
3 > > what is the difference between these three packages? I don't get it from the description alone.
4 > >
5 > > gentoo-sources: A linux kernel source tree with Gentoo patchset
6 > > gentoo-kernel-bin: A linux kernel binary image with initramfs?
7 > > gentoo-kernel: ???
8 >
9 > This is what Mike Pagano (who maintains gentoo-sources and is part of
10 > Gentoo's kernel team) had to say:
11 >
12 > > Gentoo-sources is the upstream kernel with our patches on top.
13 > > They could include experimental patches (use=experimental),
14 > > or fixes that have not made it into the mainline upstream kernel.
15 > >
16 > > If you have something you might want in gentoo-sources, all it
17 > > takes is a bug and some discussion and if it makes sense we
18 > > usually will include it.
19 > >
20 > > Gentoo-sources is under the umbrella of the Gentoo Kernel Team.
21 > >
22 > > gentoo-kernel is a project done by a developer outside of the kernel team.
23 > > I believe his goal was to provide a kernel with a sane default config that
24 > > should generally work for everyone. It looks like it uses the config file
25 > > from Arch Linux. The kernel project is not involved with that.
26 > > I think (it's not my work), the idea is like when you install Ubuntu or some other
27 > > distro where they try to make a kernel with a config covering a ton of stuff so
28 > > you don't have to compile your own.
29 >
30 > Unfortunately he didn't say anything about gentoo-kernel-bin. So... no idea.
31
32 Somewhat related to that is:
33 https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2019/12/19/a-distribution-kernel-for-gentoo/
34
35 However, mgorny speaks about vanialla-kernel not gentoo-kernel(-bin) there.
38 Gerion