From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-kernel/gentoo-sources vs. sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel vs. sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 15:33:18
1 On 21/04/2020 18:05, Gerion Entrup wrote:
2 > what is the difference between these three packages? I don't get it from the description alone.
3 >
4 > gentoo-sources: A linux kernel source tree with Gentoo patchset
5 > gentoo-kernel-bin: A linux kernel binary image with initramfs?
6 > gentoo-kernel: ???
7
8 This is what Mike Pagano (who maintains gentoo-sources and is part of
9 Gentoo's kernel team) had to say:
10
11 > Gentoo-sources is the upstream kernel with our patches on top.
12 > They could include experimental patches (use=experimental),
13 > or fixes that have not made it into the mainline upstream kernel.
14 >
15 > If you have something you might want in gentoo-sources, all it
16 > takes is a bug and some discussion and if it makes sense we
17 > usually will include it.
18 >
19 > Gentoo-sources is under the umbrella of the Gentoo Kernel Team.
20 >
21 > gentoo-kernel is a project done by a developer outside of the kernel team.
22 > I believe his goal was to provide a kernel with a sane default config that
23 > should generally work for everyone. It looks like it uses the config file
24 > from Arch Linux. The kernel project is not involved with that.
25 > I think (it's not my work), the idea is like when you install Ubuntu or some other
26 > distro where they try to make a kernel with a config covering a ton of stuff so
27 > you don't have to compile your own.
28
29 Unfortunately he didn't say anything about gentoo-kernel-bin. So... no idea.