From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub, Hardened, and AMD64
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:06:11
1 Michael Crute wrote:
2 > I am building a server (AMD Opteron 64) and as a matter of policy I
3 > always run the hardened profile on my servers. Now this is my first
4 > time doing an install on an AMD64 architecture with hardened and so
5 > far it has gone relatively well. The thing that is giving me the most
6 > problems is Grub. When I try to emerge it in the hardened chroot the
7 > config script bombs out with an error 'C compiler cannot create
8 > executables'. One suggested solution was to disable sandbox in
9 > features and try again, no such luck. My next thought was to build a
10 > second chroot with a regular (non-hardened) tarball and build a
11 > package of grub (compiled using the static useflag) then emerge that
12 > in the hardened environment. Does this make sense? Is it likely to
13 > work or should I be doing something else? Any help would be
14 > appreciated.
15 >
16 > Note that simply not using the hardened profile is not an option here.
17 >
18 > -Mike
19 >
20 Hi,
21 Use gcc-config to switch to a vanilla-profile (non-hardened at all).
22 Try to emerge grub then switch back to "hardened".
23 Using non-hardened grub can't become any security thread.
24 PS:could also try latest ~x86 Grub
25 HTH.Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature