From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Lists <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Grub, Hardened, and AMD64
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:34:30
1 I am building a server (AMD Opteron 64) and as a matter of policy I
2 always run the hardened profile on my servers. Now this is my first
3 time doing an install on an AMD64 architecture with hardened and so
4 far it has gone relatively well. The thing that is giving me the most
5 problems is Grub. When I try to emerge it in the hardened chroot the
6 config script bombs out with an error 'C compiler cannot create
7 executables'. One suggested solution was to disable sandbox in
8 features and try again, no such luck. My next thought was to build a
9 second chroot with a regular (non-hardened) tarball and build a
10 package of grub (compiled using the static useflag) then emerge that
11 in the hardened environment. Does this make sense? Is it likely to
12 work or should I be doing something else? Any help would be
13 appreciated.
14
15 Note that simply not using the hardened profile is not an option here.
16
17 -Mike
21 Michael E. Crute
22 http://mike.crute.org
23
24 I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
25 up where I intended to be. --Douglas Adams
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list