From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SSH login with both key AND password?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 23:28:37
1 Hi,
2
3 Normally I'm using SSH with regular password login, and I've read
4 about generating a keypair and having a password-less connection that
5 way. Is there a way to require both the key AND a password? Basically
6 if I put the key in my SSH client at work, I don't want a co-worker to
7 be able to login to my home PC, or someone to grab my phone, etc.
8
9 Is there a way to put a passphrase on the key (seperate from my user
10 account password)? Maybe that would work... Otherwise I've thought
11 about having a dummy SSH account and then "su - realuser" to get
12 access, but that seems kind of messy.
13
14 I've always used password login and IP-restricted it, but now I'm
15 traveling more and never know what IP I might be connecting from, so
16 using a key seems to be the best plan, or maybesome kind of
17 portknocking (but that's difficult from restricted ssh environments
18 such as a phone).
19
20 Thanks,
21 Paul