From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB mass storage device slow in Gentoo, fast in Windows...? [SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:40:31
1 2010/1/5 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
2 > On Tuesday 05 January 2010 10:15:00 Stroller wrote:
3 >> On 5 Jan 2010, at 06:21, Mick wrote:
4 >> >> ...
5 >> >> Solved. The problem was CFQ I/O scheduler. It was several times slower
6 >> >> than the others, for whatever reason.
7 >> >> ...
8 >> >
9 >> > Hmmm ... reading at the help files I thought that CFQ was the
10 >> > default/best option for a desktop.  Is there such a thing as a best fit
11 >> > here?
12 >>
13 >> I had this notion that it was the worst option for everything, unless your
14 >>  computer has 96+ CPUs.
15 >
16 > I had this notion that the author of the help files was talking through a hole
17 > in his butt and just expressing his own views.
18
19 Ha, ha!
20
21 What does experience show to be a best option for a desktop that has:
22
23 a) Single CPU?
24 b) Dual core?
25 c) Quad core?