From: Jim Hatfield <subscriber@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Interesting install experience
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:32:31
1 The machine I posted about earlier (GRUB GRUB GRUB...) is dead.
2 It hung booting the 2005.0 CD, and if I booted a DriveImage CD
3 with a DOS partition, every key on the keyboard was echoed ^A.
4 Ah well.
5
6 So I just installed another machine, using the 2005.0 CD and using
7 the new instructions. It has a Matrox G400 so I added support for
8 that in the kernel. This may have been a mistake.
9
10 Everything is fine until I reboot, when after the GRUB screen and
11 kernel selection, the screen goes black with lots of pretty blue
12 squares all over it. Nice, but not helpful in logging in. And of
13 course sshd isn't enabled by default. No matter, I reboot off the
14 CD, mount everything, do the chroot thing and add sshd to the default
15 runlevel, reboot and I can get in remotely.
16
17 I guess I will rebuild the kernel with Matrox support removed and
18 see if that fixes.
19
20 BTW, what is the received wistom wrt building things into the
21 kernel or building them as modules? As well as the G400 I have
22 an Intel NIC and a VIA sound card, and this time round chose to
23 build them in, though before I built them as modules. I'm not
24 clear as to the pros and cons.
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list