From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Interesting install experience
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:54:53
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:27:49 +0100
4 Jim Hatfield <subscriber@××××××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > So I just installed another machine, using the 2005.0 CD and using
7 > the new instructions. It has a Matrox G400 so I added support for
8 > that in the kernel. This may have been a mistake.
9 >
10 > Everything is fine until I reboot, when after the GRUB screen and
11 > kernel selection, the screen goes black with lots of pretty blue
12 > squares all over it.
13
14 This may be due to the framebuffer chosing a wrong mode for the kind of
15 monitor you have. You can set the resolution and frame rate on the
16 kernel command line. This should be documented in /usr/src/linux/
17 Documentation/fb/... (don't have it here atm)
18
19 > I guess I will rebuild the kernel with Matrox support removed and
20 > see if that fixes.
21
22 This will probably work, too :-)
23
24 > BTW, what is the received wistom wrt building things into the
25 > kernel or building them as modules? As well as the G400 I have
26 > an Intel NIC and a VIA sound card, and this time round chose to
27 > build them in, though before I built them as modules. I'm not
28 > clear as to the pros and cons.
29
30 If the hardware is builtin, and you don't have problems with somewhat
31 random hardware enumeration (i.e., multiple NICs getting different
32 devices on each boot), there's little reason to build the drivers as
33 modules. OTOH, probing a module triggers (if it loads successfully) a
34 hotplug event, which is not the case during bootup (AFAIK, at least
35 there are no hotplug scripts available at that moment). So if you chose
36 to compile them into the kernel, you need to e.g. have "net.eth0" in
37 the runlevel configuration for "boot" or "default". If you're probing
38 them as modules, that will trigger hotplug and this should take care of
39 running the respective start script. If you intend to run a common
40 kernel on multiple machines, it may be wiser to compile some drivers to
41 modules, but for e.g. PCI devices this shouldn't matter a lot, you only
42 will save some RAM on machines that don't need the driver (compiled
43 into the kernel).
44
45 Sound is another matter: The kernel ALSA isn't always the latest
46 version. So it's best to only configure sound support but no ALSA or
47 OSS and then later "emerge alsa-driver".
48
49 Then there are drivers that have their own code base only. In most
50 cases it's much more complicated to integrate them into the kernel
51 sources than to compile them as external modules.
54 -hwh
55 --
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list