From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 00:16:11
1 On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:28:04 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Even though it is from a DVD it can be updated just like standard
6 > > linux. The problem is, if you run out of ram then things get killed.
9 > >> (Frankly, this sounds quite nice for kiosk environments.)
10 > >
11 > > Could be if you have a good enough network connection for Linux
12 > > kernel updates or cut it right down ;-)
13 >
14 > Local gigabit is cheap, and a gigabit connection would transfer the
15 > image in under a minute. A bit more, of course, if you've got an
16 > overloaded server being slammed by ten or twenty machines.
17 >
18 > (I wonder if one can anycast TFTP on a local segment. Hm. I think you
19 > could just barely pull it off, since you'd have resolved the layer 2
20 > address for your syn packet, and that should stick with the
21 > connection.)
22
23 Kiosks are notorious for having difficulty in getting to connections
24 as there place is determined by other factors. Still it may make a good
25 choice of OS except for reboot time.