From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:28:18
1 On 03/18/2013 05:38 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
2 >>>
3 >>> It's one of Blueness projects based on Hardened Gentoo. It loads
4 >>> into ram at boot (you need something like 4 gig of ram) which
5 >>> takes ages from dvd but could be from an ssd/hdd (defeating half
6 >>> the point without a ro switch though). It can update from the net
7 >>> once booted too.
8 >>>
9 >>> Once done everythings in ram so firefox can literally pop up like
10 >>> a web advert upon execution.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> In other words, it's a distribution designed to not allow
14 >> persistent storage that might possibly be poisoned,
15 >
16 > Not really, that is one benefit, but don't forget that BIOS, HDD or
17 > Video card firmware could have been altered.
18
19 Sure.
22 > The main goals are reliability and leave no trace elements but it
23 > does have some added tamper ensurance yes.
24 >
25 > I didn't spell it out because you should check the site to see all
26 > the details and would be bound to get it a little wrong without
27 > checking myself.
28 >
29 >> and instead get much of its security-conscious code updated over
30 >> the network.
33 > Security conscious code??? What do you mean? That says to me things
34 > like PAX brute force protection??
35
36 I mean everything that gets updated more frequently owing to its being a
37 high-profile target in security contexts. Web browsers. Mail clients.
38 Listening daemons.
39
40 Having a static image that you need to update every time you boot is a
41 bit like plugging in an unpatched Windows machine that you need to run
42 updates on...every time you boot. It's a tad silly in that respect.
45 > Even though it is from a DVD it can be updated just like standard
46 > linux. The problem is, if you run out of ram then things get killed.
49 >> (Frankly, this sounds quite nice for kiosk environments.)
50 >
51 > Could be if you have a good enough network connection for Linux
52 > kernel updates or cut it right down ;-)
53
54 Local gigabit is cheap, and a gigabit connection would transfer the
55 image in under a minute. A bit more, of course, if you've got an
56 overloaded server being slammed by ten or twenty machines.
57
58 (I wonder if one can anycast TFTP on a local segment. Hm. I think you
59 could just barely pull it off, since you'd have resolved the layer 2
60 address for your syn packet, and that should stick with the connection.)