From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} AMD Barcelona vs. Intel Harpertown (also 10k vs 15k RPM)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:04:22
1 >> I'm trying to decide between an AMD Barcelona or an Intel Harpertown
2 >> quad-core CPU for a web/database server.  The Intel would have a 5%
3 >> lower clock speed.  I've read that Harpertown outperforms Barcelona
4 >> (by 20%?), but that the quad-core implementation isn't as good on the
5 >> Harpertown.  It's surprisingly difficult to get comparative benchmarks
6 >> on these at similar clock speeds.  Does anyone know which of these
7 >> should perform better in a web/database server?  I support AMD on my
8 >> non-critical systems, but I need performance for this server.
9 >>
10 >> I'm also trying to decide between a 2.5" 10k HD vs. a 3.5" 15k HD.
11 >> I've read that the 15k yields about a 20% I/O performance boost so I
12 >> think I'll go for it.  I won't be using RAID at all.
13 >>
14 >> - Grant
15 >
16 >> I won't be using RAID at all.
17 > If uptime is of no concern to you, then why even bother about speed?
18
19 Of course uptime is a concern, but it needs to be put into perspective.
20
21 Let's assume that without RAID, the hard drive in use fails every 3
22 years and causes 24 hours of downtime with good backups. That's a
23 loss of .09% uptime over 3 years. If the server makes $100,000/year
24 (and the same amount every day), that's a loss of $273 over 3 years.
25 However, my host wants $105/month for a second 15k hard drive and RAID
26 controller card. The cost of that over 3 years is $3,780.
27
28 Plus I like to keep things simple and RAID is another layer to learn,
29 install, and maintain. Plus RAID isn't foolproof:
30
31 http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/21/2126252&from=rss
32 http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=162
33
34 Any opinions on Barcelona vs. Harpertown or 10k vs. 15k?
35
36 - Grant